Sunday, August 16, 2015

The owls are not what they seem.


I am so excited by the work of JohDel...
We met him at his recent exhibition at The Eye in town.
(More about them in a later post)
We bought The Owls Are Not What They Seem and Tree of Life.


We've just got them back from the framer - Rooiwolf, that's red wolf in Afrikaans. He uses only indigenous, sustainable woods for his frames - ours are kiaat, and very beautiful. I can stare at these intricate images for hours.

I can also stare at the work of Eric Ravilious for hours. The Attic Bedroom was painted in 1931. It reminds me of my grandmother's attic, where the cousins and I stayed every holiday when we were children. Six beds in a row. Very happy times. It's where my love for attics was born. We are having a start made on our own attic conversion, hearts in our mouths. Right now it doesn't feel so much more than a big pile of wood in the driveway.
When the builder tells you it will be a simple job, ALWAYS take it with a bag of salt.

But maybe one day it will feel a little like this:


News from the Robin family:
the babies are growing so fast! Their parents are kept very busy catching worms and other goggas. Today I saw them flying some peanut butter over. Pretty soon the nest will be too small...

3 comments:

dinahmow said...

Oh! I love all of this.And that book-y attic.Oh.My.Stars....

Robins seem doing well.

Marie said...

The Twin Peaks reference is part of me...:-)

the sourcerer said...

Dinah - we are impressed with the Robin parents. Often one of the babies will be weaker and not be fed as much, but these two seem equally strong. In the mornings early I hear them peeping for food. Can't wait to see them venture out.

Marie - I wan't to watch Twin Peaks all over again!! Apparently David Lynch is working on a conclusion....