Thursday, January 8, 2015

Yugo Stores.


Sunlight soap, paraffin, lighthouse candles, mielie meal and marshmallow mice. The smell is a combination of these things and it transports me straight back to childhood summers, when my mother used to take us to buy slip slops at Dups - the ones that only came in blue, with little fish shapes pressed into the rubber.

The same shelves covered in gift wrap. Bicycle spares, plastic dolls in cellophane, razor blades, enamel mugs, zam-buk salve in tins, lifebuoy soap, vicks cough drops and tokoloshe salts.


Opened in 1946 by Archie's parents, long gone now. We left with a red enamel dish, stoney ginger beer and a small glass bottle of coca cola, ice cold.

56 4th Avenue
Linden
Johannesburg

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Those types of stores must be a universal thing. I don't know half the items you mentioned but I know the smell and the clutter and the fun of walking out with an odd assortment of stuff. Made me think back to childhood summer days.