Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I like it. What is it?

This thing I like doing: going to the supermarket in a foreign country and inspecting everything. Seeing what the locals are buying to cook with. There aren't any supermarkets in Beyoglu, but wandering around Cihangir yesterday, I came upon two. Happiness.

Spot doubtful Christmas party dresses on 2nd floor.

So many different kinds of eggs and lentils! I left with a litre of cherry juice and some almond body lotion. I will be back.
Further down the road the Muezzin started his noonday call to prayer. I was so close that it reverberated against my heart. So passionate and plaintive. I had to lean against a wall until the end.
Saw some ladies up ahead - they were laughing at me. The minuscule old one walked up to me, gas canister in hand and we had a long chat. Didn't understand a thing. But it was full of goodwill and laughter. She crossed the road and walked to her house. Turned around and waved. Oh this world we live in. ❤ ❤ ❤


7 comments:

mike berg said...

I told you so ....get down to those little side streets.look for the multi story antique market...fairly interesting stuff...great building.

D said...

Nice. My favourite exotic supermarket find was a shelf of canned Pocari Sweat in Malaysia. Sadly it turned out to be an isotonic drink, not bottled sweat from a hairy variety of wild pig.

tanjawilmot said...

ah, that call to prayers. you describe it so well.

Marie said...

Jis, ek wens ek was daar. The muezzin, so many times a day, that sound I love. Have you heard the singing gas truck yet?

the sourcerer said...

D - they advertise pocari sweat over and over on Etihad, with whom I flew. It took me a while to realize that it wasn't a joke...
T - I think of you around every corner!
M - no singing gas truck yet, but singing scrap men with beautiful old carts.
xxx

Karen Bekker said...

Faan says to tell you he LOVES your pics! and I'm very envious -happy shopping x

the sourcerer said...

Thanks Karen - you know we have a mutual admiration club! thought of you today whilst perusing elegant hosiery...