Sunday, August 5, 2012

This place we call home.

While we go to work and make plots and plans and spend a gazillion dollars, across the road the community of pavement dwellers carry on with their daily life. Since I wrote about them the first time, I've become friendly with them - we greet and talk a little. I'm still not comfortable enough to whip out my camera and photograph them - I just don't have the time to do it properly.

Fridays are bad. There's a lot of drinking and staggering around, badly aimed punches, cursing and the wailing of womenfolk.


Early on Saturday morning, all is peaceful again. He's sitting on his bedroll reading a comic, heating water on a tiny brazier. The woman in the purple sequined dress is fast asleep next to him, her head on his shoulder.

3 comments:

arcadia said...

Hi Lily. Ja, ek dink die kontras tussen die twee werelde sou my vang. Hoop dit gaan goed by jou. xxa

the sourcerer said...

net stres.....
sien uit na September
xx

tanjawilmot said...

ja. and you wonder perhaps which one is more abusive. though the cross making thing is there are choices available on one side of the street, not so>