Monday, June 3, 2013

Snow-blind.

Photograph by Bianca Haarhoff, via WhatsUpCapeTown.
I can't believe, that while I was out carousing on the southern peninsula yesterday, this is what was happening in town...
Sure, we had thunder and lightning, hail big as peas. But no snow!
Snow in Africa is confined to far away blue mountain tops, not cities. Double glazing is unheard of, central heating, insulation - what is that? We shiver through two coldish months of winter and that's it.

I remember years ago arriving in small town Canada and being terribly disappointed that there was no snow. So much so, that by the time it fell, the check-out lady at the small supermarket said to me: "So you got your snow dear!" I didn't know her from a bar of soap.

In Germany I once woke the entire household
to alert them:
"It's snowing - it's snowing!!!"
They were pretty decent about it, but immediately went back to bed after a few hmms and ahs.
I stood at the window for a long time, watching it drift down. Because snow is magic.

Photograph by Nicole Attridge, via WhatsUpCapeTown.

I live a short ten minutes walk up this road, to the right. Back in the city today, it's nippy out, but all that remains is a shiny wet broth.

No comments: