Sunday, December 12, 2010

Cape Town New York


These are my parents, dining out in New York City. I'm there too, three months new, waiting to be born. They were staying with friends on the North Shore of Long Island, in the village of Great Neck. My mother remembers trekking out to the city in the bitter cold, visiting the Statue of Liberty, walking down the stairs of the Empire State Building. This is how she ends a post card to my eldest sister: "We are enjoying the T.V., which is in colour."
New York calls to me. It pops up everywhere. I trawl the internet, friends send me links and it feels as if all the interesting people in the world live in Brooklyn.
Let's do a meaningful comparison:
 Cape Town has a land area of 2,499 square km (965 square miles) with a population of 2,893,251 and a population density of 1,158 people per square km (2,999 per square mile)
Cape Town is about three times the size of New York City, but has 5.25 million fewer inhabitants. That puts about 23,000 fewer people in my particular square mile.

My pond feels so incredibly small right now.
Hello New York. See you soon.

2 comments:

M said...

when when when??

the sourcerer said...

Mattie! I'm thinking in the spring. (yours) but not sure if I'll make it to San Francisco...